This is actually quite easy to do. You only need the following programs
- Your favorite internet browser for downloading the update
- Your Volkswagen GPS SD card
PS: I am in no way liable, responsible for you/ they damaging your working GPS. This is merely the way I've followed from Here and found on my own.
In other words, this is on your own risk!
- Download Win32diskimager and install it on your computer
- Create a backup of your original SD card that you've received with your VW car using Win32diskimager!!!
- In the meantime download the correct GPS update from the Here website (depending on your version Media, Pro or PQ this can take a while)
- Extract the download to your folder choice using 7-Zip
- Change the SD card from the "lock" position to unlock
- Format your SDCard with Windows:
- Quick format
- Default Allocation Size
- Now open powershell ISE (for easier editing) and enter the following commands:
robocopy.exe "LocationOfYourGPSUpdateFile" "PathOfYourSDCard" /xf YourMD5Checksum.md5 /w:1 /r:1 /mir /mt:32 /np /log:"YourLogPath"
- Options explained
- Robocopy is a Windows commandlet that has great possibilities when it comes to copying files
- LocationOfYourGPSUpdateFile is where you have extracted your download (e.g. "C:\temp\downloadUpdate")
- PathOfYourSDCard is the location of your VW SDCard (e.g. "I:\")
- /w:1 wait only 1 second
- /r:1 retry only once
- /xf YourMD5Checksum.md5 will exclude the md5 checksum (not needed as far as I know, e.g. "P67_N60S3MIBS2_EU_NT.md5")
- /mir will mirror copy everything from your SOURCE to your DESTINATION path
- /mt:32 will use threading to speed up the copy
- /np is the no-progress option to lower the log output
- /log:"YourLogPath" is the location of your log to view what has happened (e.g. "C:\temp\copy.log")
- Check your log if the copy has succeeded, if not, then contact Here or your VW dealer for support
- Safely remove your SD card and put it back in the lock position
- Insert the updated SD into your slot 2 (depending on your model reqs) of your VW car and start the engine
- Wait for your GPS to find the updated files and let it initialize itself